Monday, August 29, 2011

CNE Greasy Madness

At age 32 I finally made it out to the Central Canada Exhibition in Toronto for the first time in my life.  Since I was used to the much smaller Ottawa Super Ex, the CNE proved to be a complete sensory overload....but one I am glad to have finally experienced.

Of course, my main focus of this trip would be the ridiculous food pavilion.  So here's a few pics of the madness...

My burger choices...

What I came to the CNE for!  Bacon cheeseburger w/fried egg on 2 Krispy Kreme donuts.



 As horrifying as that burger sounds, it was actually pretty damn good.  Messy, but good.  And yes, I would totally eat one again...but not before a a lengthy period of dieting!  The "Behemoth" burger advertized above was sandwiched between two grilled cheeses.  Unfortunately there was not enough room in my stomach to try that one.

Dessert choices...

Deep fried slushy!
For those wondering how deep frying drinks is possible, there's a simple answer.  They take your beverage of choice and mix it will batter...than dump it in balls into the fryer.  So no, it isn't full of slush or coke that explodes in your mouth, but simply flavoured dough,  It was honestly a lot less offensive that it looks and sounds.  And definitely not too sweet.

After dinner, I wandered the fair grounds.  As to be expected, there were tonnes of games, rides and vendors selling everything from bootleg DVD's to incense and ball caps.

In the vendors area I grabbed a few kangaroo pepperettes.  There was also camel summer sausage available, and I regret not buying any, however I was already starting to run low on my frivolous CNE money.  The pepperettes were nothing too exciting and for all I know they could have been beef and or pork. 

Thankfully I did have a couple extra bucks to grab a pickle on a stick!

Let's be honest...everything tastes better on a stick.







Next stop was to see the cute little animals.  The "Pig Mobile" greeted me at the farm building and for a minute I thought that the Food Truck Eats event had started a day early!


Bacon in training.

 With the evening winding down, my day wouldn't have been complete without one final greasy snack...

The Deep Fried Mac n' Cheese Curds was by far my favorite food at the CNE.
At almost 10pm, the line ups for food were just as big as ever. 
Overall I had a great time.  The food did not disappoint and the crowds were not so crazy that I wanted to leave immediately after getting there.  Definitely something that I think everyone should check out at some point.

And foodies...don't be afraid let yourself enjoy some wild, crazy, and unhealthy food every once and a while!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment